When I began "The Sound and the Fury" by William Faulkner, I was extremely confused. I didnt understand what was going on, who was speaking, or what the various characters were doing. Even through my confusion, I was so interested in the book; I couldnt put it down. The confusing plot created a vortex that I was enthralled in. I think Faulkner began the book this way because of that vortex. The reader is so confused and unable to perceive the true meaning and message from Faulkner that they become determined in grasping the constant information being thrown at them.
I think Bengy has more than one purpose in the Compson family. On a tangible note, he represents the end of the families luck, their downfall; they see him as a curse of sorts. They patronize him, treating him like a despicable creature. Looking upon Bengy's age and the opening date of the book, i think Bengy also has another lofty or exalted purpose. He is an eye opening character in the way that everything is different through his eyes. He doesnt comprehend average concepts such as time, concepts that all normal people understand. Bengy is not an ordinary character and through him and his family's differences, he represents the close mindedness of his family. His role in the novel is to be a constant. From what i have noticed, he remains the same; he has the same mannerisms throughout and he doensnt approve of change. This becomes obvious as the reader experiences Bengy's reaction to Caddie traveling through the journey of life and experiencing various changes that alter the person she used to be.
excellent, good comments-
ReplyDeletegood, just wait, things will really become more clear as you go on
ReplyDelete